Wednesday, 7 September 2011

Sonic the hedgehog 20th aneversery app

If you follow me on twitter then you might have noticed that I'm a little bit obsessed with the Sonic the Hedgehog games, especially the ones from the older Sega consoles.

This morning I read an article about Sega releasing a 20th anniversary of Sonic the Hedgehog app for iOS so I logged into the AppStore and went to check it out.

The app offers wallpapers, information on iOS Sega games, web links and two playable games (SketchHog and a 30 second preview of Sonic 4 for iOS) along with leader boards.

SketchHog is probably the best thing in this app, it's a little side scrolling Sonic game with just two simple controls (tap to jump, tap again to double jump). It has the look and feel of those doodle iOS games, nothing special but maybe fun for a quick play now and again.

I know this is a free app and I shouldn't really complain but one thing that annoys me with this app is that there is a big, ugly Ad bar stuck in the top centre of the menu bar.

I know Ads bring money in for developers of free apps but in this case I don't see why it's necessary, I mean Sega are a huge corporation and the revenue from iAds are close to nothing to them.

I hate iAd supported apps and for this reason alone this app is going to be shoved in my 'other' folder. It's a cool app and I'll probably go back and have a quick game on SketchHog now and then but I'm pretty sure Sega could have done a lot better to honour it's most loved game.

It is Sonic's 20th birthday after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment