Wednesday, 2 November 2011

Halloween


If you're like me then you're probably only just recovering from the halloween weekend. What better excuse is there to get together with your friends, dress up in ridiculous costumes and get completely wrecked. With Halloween falling on a Monday I ended up attending three different nights this year. By the end of it I was feeling more like a zombie than most of the people walking around in costume.

Traditionally, Halloween (or All Hallows’ Eve) is the day that is set aside for honouring the dead. But like most things it has been americanised and blown up to be one big commercial excuse to go out and spend your money on costumes and booze.

When I was younger it was all about going trick or treating around home, collecting sweets and chocolate from the neighbours. Obviously I'm a lot older now and if I did even attempt to go trick or treating if would probably end up badly. I can't go trick or treating myself but I have noticed that its a tradition (fair enough, not a real one) that seems to be dying out here in the UK.

I've noticed from just walking around my home estate this year that in near enough every window of every house there is a sign saying 'NO TRICK OR TREATERS'. What's happened to people today? Why has everyone suddenly become so miserable? Young kids these days won't have the same experience as we did when we were their age. They're going to miss out on dressing up and going out with their friends and most importantly they're going to miss out on free chocolate.

In my eyes Halloween has become more of an adult celebration filled with party's and alcohol. The grown ups can go out and have an amazing time while the kids sit indoors doing nothing with no free sweets or chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment