Tuesday, 26 October 2010

The death of the Sony Walkman cassette player

Sony has announced that it will cease the production of the cassette-tape Walkman in japan.
But is it really time to throw out our old mixtapes and fully embrace the age of the Mp3 playlist?
Even though it's a little before my time, I still feel the nostalgia of growing up in the 90s, listening to the old cassette tapes.

What I want to hear is your views.
Do you think that the tape has come to the end of its days or do you feel that there's still room for it's old, retro charm?


Please comment below or send opinions to Dan303@hotmail.co.uk
When replying, make sure that you include your email address so that I can contact you.
(If you don't want to leave your Email in the comments section please send me an email instead/as well).
-Thanks, Dan.

3 comments:

  1. I think they were great in their day. But it is so nice to be able to walk around with a whole library, rather then one or two bulky tapes.
    Sure there is some nostalgia there, but now with this cease in production, they can become valued collector items.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have a lot of tapes that I don't want to lose, but I'd never listen to them on a Walkman. I'd rather listen to them on a good tape deck (they are really hard to find these days!) or digitize them.

    Most of these tapes I made for my car - so I'd love to be able to put them on my iPod. I simply don't have the time to digitize them all, and I haven't found a decent tape deck for a reasonable price, either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's time for them to discontinue it. Cassette tapes, somewhat like vinyl, need to be cared for, with respect to the elements, storage environment, etc. Now me, I am converting my cassettes to minidisc (yes minidisc) for a number of reasons. I did two blog posts on my love for minidisc.

    ReplyDelete